Jul 24, 2014

Two Weeks and Back to Work

Adam went back to work on Tuesday. I can tell you how that makes me feel: Pthhhhhhhhhhht with a big Roger and Ebert Two Thumbs Down.

It also happened to be Nora's due date. (Kind of funny, to think that instead of starting his leave on her due date Nora is two weeks old and Adam is returning to work.)


I don't think it ruined Adam's time off, but the idea of him going back to work has been hiding in the corners, jumping out at me and causing great amounts of dread even since most of last week. I'm pretty sure it was haunting me more than him -- which was, in fact, confirmed by Adam himself. The idea of getting up alone at night with the baby, meeting the needs of the big girls, and functioning all day with no possibility of alone time made me break out in a cold sweat.

It would have been nice if Nora had given us a good night's sleep on Monday, to ease us into our new "regular" routine, but of course she's a fickle (although awfully adorable) little newborn that decided to have a long and fussy night. I'm not exactly sure how Adam survived his first day back to work, but I did it with a large coffee (yes that's three shots of espresso -- don't judge) and a visit from friends.

(Although the coffee kept me awake, it was the friends that made the day manageable with the playmates for the girls and help in the kitchen.)


Yesterday the girls and I went to a friend's house and today and tomorrow they are out of the house on play dates. Honestly, this week has been less scary than I thought it would be. The help is wonderful, and even the girls themselves are pretty easy going. Today they let me sleep in until ten o'clock.

I am exhausted by the end of the day though, and poor Adam comes home to a tired and most likely cranky wife, two big girls dying for his attention, and a new baby he wants to bond with. Somehow we are making it work, with most of the credit going to my dear husband who I could not do any of this without. Which explains why I was dreading his return to work.


But, two days in and it's going pretty well.

That, however, doesn't mean I'm not still counting down the days until the weekend. Two to go.

xoxo, christine







No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!