Jun 4, 2012

Being Here

I am trying to open my eyes.  And keep them open.  Some days I am great, other days I stink.  Sometimes within the span of a day, or even hour, I am great and I stink and I'm everywhere in between.  It can be hard, especially in my moments of frustration and anger when my mind is telling me to calm down, relax, and it's not a big deal.  And even though I hear myself, even though I'm listening, the anger continues and I don't calm down and suddenly along with the frustration with the girls there is the frustration with myself.  Accompanied by a large helping of guilt.  Because I heard myself, I really did, so why did I yell and allow my emotions to escalate?

I know I am here, where I'm supposed to be, where I want to be.  This role is mine and I can own it or fight it.  I don't want to fight it.  So it is up to me to be happy, to be satisfied.  It is up to me to let go.  It is up to me to be the kind of mother and wife and person who is most important to me to be.

I can't stop thinking about the things that aren't important and the things that are.  Life.  What I find most important to pass on to my children.  And to remember that the coupons ripped up and scattered on the floor, and the driver who just cut me off, are not the important things.  Are never the important things.  I want to always remember that we are important.

I want to hold onto and squeeze my girls and my husband.  But it can be exhausting trying to always keep that, the feeling of enjoying every moment and letting go of the things that don't matter.  But I'm trying.  Because I want to keep my eyes open.

I want to see every smile and feel every kiss.  I want to be grateful for every snuggle and touch from little hands.  I want to feel lucky for every giggle, every tantrum, every stubborn moment, and every attitude.  Because at least that means they are here.  That I am here.

And here.  Right here.  Is where I want to be.


xo,
Christine


Linking up with Just Write.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, yes, yes, YES! I totally get this. Not only that this is where I'm supposed to be, but that I need to choose that this is where I also WANT to be. And it is, oh, it is...because I wouldn't trade THIS for anything...but, sometimes, like you so beautifully wrote, it is hard to remember in the midst of day to day and our own failures. But the joy of sharing our days with little ones is that they are quick to forgive and love without condition...their hugs and kisses and "I love you"s make it all completely worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilt is not fun! I always pray that all the happy moments will make up for the not so good ones!
    Michelle
    http://normalchaosforamultitaskmom.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-little-muffin.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, it's so relatable and I have been there, I am there. Such a beautiful image of motherhood.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!