Feb 14, 2013

The Big Reveal

So, I got my haircut last night. It's been, oh, about seven months since I even had a trim so I was over due. I've been dying for some freshening up, and even wanted a change, but I've been working on growing my hair out the past yearish, so I opted to chop just the front of my hair instead.

Yes, I decided on bangs. Now, at this point I feel obligated to point out that I have been contemplating this style for at least a month, long before the article in the Star Tribune came out about this new "it" thing (and all the hullabaloo with Michelle Obama's do). In fact, when I read the article it almost made me want to avoid the bangs because, for many reasons, I don't like people thinking I'm doing something because everyone else is doing it... Not that I should care what other people think but that's a whole other post.

So, the bangs. I have long struggled to find a stylist in the Twin Cities area that I like, so not only was I trying a style I haven't had since grade school (that's right, I grew my bangs out in middle school and never looked back), I was also trusting a young woman who I've never trusted with my hair before. (Talk about anxiety.)

But the thing I've decided about my hair is that it's just hair. That is, it is something that, if I don't end up liking the cut, I can always change. Yes, sometimes it might take a long time to regrow, but I sort of feel like I don't want that to keep me from experimenting.

All that being said, I'm pretty happy with the cut. It hasn't even been twenty-four hours so I feel like I don't yet have an accurate assessment though. (I'll keep you posted.) My family, of course, all have their own thoughts. My husband didn't even recognize me when I came home and told me he felt like a stranger was walking around his house. My five-year-old turned her head away and started crying, and my two-year-old stopped dead in her tracks and said, I don't like it.

All three of them are still getting used to it (as am I) and I catch them sneaking glances at my face every now and then. My five-year-old has since changed her opinion, insisting it looks nice, and the two-year-old decided that it looks silly.

So, now, whether you actually care to or not, judge for yourself: bad, good, silly, or something else.

Before and After

For now I'm just rockin' it out and embracing a change.

xoxo,
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!