Nov 23, 2011

The Obligatory Giving of Thanks Post


Today, I am thankful.

I am thankful for family, friends, and health.

However, if I am being honest, I do not always remember to be thankful.  I find myself feeling overwhelmed and stressed.  I get caught up in the unimportant things of life, instead of focusing on how full and blessed my life is.

So, as most people this week, I am trying to consciously meditate on what I am thankful for.  And of course, that includes my family, my friends, and our health.

This year, I also feel thankful for who I am.  For where I come from.  For all that makes me, me.  Of course there are always things I would like to change about myself, or am working on changing.  There are things I would like to do differently, or better.  But this post is not about that.  This is about me feeling thankful for everything and everyone who has shaped me into the person I am today.

My parents
My parents, my relatives, my ancestors, they make me who I am.  My strong grandmother who raised my father as a single mother.  My strict grandfather and step-grandmother, who instilled the importance of Austrian etiquette in us.  My sweet maternal grandmother, who I have but a few memories from before the nursing home.  And my cranky maternal grandfather, who would have adored Adam.  Their parents and grandparents before them.  Their lives, their traditions, their legacies, have led to my life.

My friends, my cheerleaders, they make me who I am.  My first boy friend from childhood, whose backyard was attached to ours.  The first family friends, with two little girls close to my age.  My elementary school friends, who hold such a deep place in my heart, I will never let them go.  My middle school friends, who weathered through that awkward time of life with me.  My high school friends, who have scattered across the country and are turning into beautiful adults.  My college friends, my work friends, my mommy friends, who have supported me and my insecurities into adulthood.  These people I love and care about, who love and care about me, have led to my life.

I am who I am, because of the experiences I had.  Some good, some great, some terrible, some wonderful.  I try to be thankful for them all.


Today, I am this me, because of my husband.  The quiet boy who fell in love with me on a bus in Ireland.  Who made me laugh, and made me love, and made me realize what life I wanted.

Today, I am this me, because of my daughters.  Who gave me the gift of motherhood and unconditional love.  Who snuggle me, who kiss me, who love me.  Who continually teach me the important things.

So many people, so many places, so many experiences, have made me who I am.

So today, and always, I am thankful.














7 comments:

  1. This is a truly beautiful post. And your little girls? Ridiculously cute!! I hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

    p.s. I promise I'm not being totally creepy, but you look SO familiar. I don't think we know each other, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely list. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally beautiful. I love how you trace your history, because you're right - it all goes into making us who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful - we have so many reasons to be thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very sweet. I tend to whine and forget what all I do have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. I have very many fond memories playing in your backyard and with our first boy friend... For some reason I always think back to the dinosaur club :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all. Hope everyone had Happy Thanksgivings and winter holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!